Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Slugger's Paradise

A friend treated me to Opening Day for the San Francisco Giants yesterday. I've loved baseball since I was a child and played softball for several years when I was a kid. Field of Dreams tops my list of all-time favorite movies.

This year, I finally got to see my favorite team win on Opening Day in person (I've seen plenty of Opening Day losses). Final score: Giants 10, Milwaukee Brewers, 6.

If this game had been played the Swedish way, the score would have ballooned to a football (American football) score, since the Giants smacked three home runs. Home runs in the Scandinavian form of baseball, brännboll, are worth 6 points a pop. Home runs are also easier to hit in brännboll, since there is no pitcher! Want to see brännboll at its best and learn about the uniqueness of this Scandinavian sport firsthand? Join the crowd at Umeå University next month, when the World Cup of brännboll, Brännbollscupen, will play out. You'll learn more about the uniqueness of brännboll in this earlier blog post.
_____________________________________________

Vad tycker du? Kommentera gärna :)
_____________________________________________

Bookmark and Share

No comments: