Thursday, September 11, 2008

Roller Coaster Fanatics Love Göteborg


I'm a roller coaster fanatic. When I travel to a new city, I usually want to ride its best roller coaster (which in my opinion is usually a wooden coaster with big drops). Next week I'm going to Las Vegas and I wanted to see what thrill rides I could find there (I've only been to the airport in Vegas). I checked out YouTube to see the roller coasters Vegas has to offer and was surprised to see how many people are videotaping their coaster rides these days. While glancing at a few coaster clips, I got the idea in my head to check out some of Sweden's thrill rides. Last summer, I rode a coaster at Gröna Lund in Stockholm, a steel coaster with many twists and turns, but it lacked the excitement of big drops, to my disappointment.

Through YouTube, I have discovered that when my travels take me to the west coast of Sweden, I can't miss the Balder roller coaster in Göteborg (Gothenburg in English). Balder (in the picture above), at the Liseberg amusement park, has been voted the best wooden roller coaster in the world twice in a major international poll since it opened in 2003. Apparently it offers lots of "air time" and a smooth ride. I'm guessing this video does not do it justice, but it's fun to watch...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks crazy! My boyfriend will want to go :)

Henrik said...

It's a great ride. The negative G's and the close proximity to the pillars make the ride something special.