Saturday, August 23, 2008

Olympic Spirit

I know many Swedes are disappointed that Sweden did not win a gold medal at the Beijing Olympics. 2008 marks the first time in 20 years that Sweden has not captured the gold in Olympic competition. Sweden won 4 gold medals in 2004, 4 in 2000, 2 in 1996 and 1 in 1992. At the 2008 games, Sweden earns 5 medals, 4 silver and 1 bronze (2 in cycling, 1 in tennis, 1 in sailing and 1 equestrian medal).

The media loves to hype the medal count. Call me a sentimentalist, but the Olympics are not about how many medals you win. The games are about world competition, putting your best athletic performance out there and enjoying every moment of it. For all of the disappointed Swedes out there, I'd like to share one of my favorite Olympic moments of all time. No medal is clinched in this moment.

My friends sometimes roll their eyes when I tell them one of my favorite movies is Cool Runnings, based on the true story of the first Jamaican bobsled team and their Olympic journey in 1988, the same year that Sweden last went without a gold medal in (summer) Olympic competition. The Jamaican bobsled team did not win a medal, but their story shows us true Olympic spirit.

I found this video to briefly share their story with you....



No comments: